Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Sunday, February 19, 2012
- Embrace that others are not like you… and it’s okay.
- When retaliation seems appropriate… chose love and a gentle touch instead.
- Claim a humble spirit and be happy with your circumstances.
- Remember … if you’re all that and a bag of chips, others will proclaim it, you won’t have to – give God the glory in your life.
- Think before speaking and use words to lift up… not break down.
- Repeat as needed 'Less of me… more of Thee.'
- Never choose Anger in haste…
- Seek forgiveness… give forgiveness
- Believe that evil binds us… while the truth sets us free
- Set healthy boundaries – inspect what you expect!
- Trust anyway... knowing others will fail your expectations.
- Hope is based on the promises from God – Faith is walking in that hope – be in the Word daily to learn His promises.
- Failure only occurs when we stop getting back up… quitting is not an option!
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Over the course of four weeks I will be discussing four areas we all can leaf (sorry, I had to) a legacy of love in for generations to come. I will begin today in the area of health.
One of my favorite phrases, "Genetics is a tendency... not a destiny!" is a powerful reminder that no matter whose below us on our tree, we always have the choice to learn from them and change. That said, what are you embracing as truth concerning health from your forefathers? No matter what it is, today, you can claim a healthier lifestyle, make some changes and influence generations to come.
What does a healthy-lifestyle look like to you? Is it:
- Traveling without restrictions.
- Playing on the floor with your children/grandchildren and getting back up.
- Desiring intimacy with your spouse and being able to act on it.
- Include 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days a week - move it or lose it - make this fun!
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces of water daily - create a "My Jug/Pitcher" and keep it handy!
- Discover your Zone of Required Sleep and get it nightly - (set your bedroom up for successful sleep visit LivePowerfullyNow.org for articles on sleep.)
- Live within your limitations - physical/medical - don't shut down because of them, adapt.
Monday, January 16, 2012
Some days you just want to say, "Enough is enough!"
This outburst normally occurs at a time when all the whys, whens, and how comes collide into a barrage of - I can't do this anymore!
Well no worries, you're not alone... there is hope. It's time to be Taking Out Your Emotional Trash and my friend Georgia can help!
This is my BOOK OF THE MONTH. I've had several friends say they are going through Georgia's book together as a life application study, I encourage you to do the same. Here is the second half of a conversation with Georgia about facing your feelings and building healthy relationships...
- Making sarcastic or critical remarks
- Giving the silent treatment – not communicating for days or weeks
- Withholding something like our affection, time or attention
- Talking to a safe friend or counselor
- Righting a wrong
- Fighting a righteous battle
- Addressing the relational issue
Monday, January 9, 2012
Do you find yourself running back to salvage a friendship gone bad?
Then my friend, you might be considered a "Relational Dumpster Diver!"
... but no worries, I know someone who can help you recover by, "Taking Out Your Emotional Trash"
Monday, February 28, 2011
IT will eventually happen to all of us. Maybe not today or tomorrow but at some point while we are living on this precious planet called earth, "it" will happen. What will you do when "it" does?
Many of us will throw our hands in the air with a gesture of disbelief. Other's will make that phone call to their best friend and exclaim, "I wasn't expecting "it" to happen today!" Then there will be the silent few, who knew "it" was coming all along. They planned, prepared, and postured themselves for the inevitable, and now they are reaping the benefits. Which group do you fall into?
For several years now I have prided myself in doing all the right things to keep body, mind and soul in tip top shape. But as of late, the concept of tip top has slid down to barely hanging on to the side... the moment of IT has arrived...
Don't laugh guys it works the same way for you. One morning you wake up, look in the mirror and gasp with amazement as your stare through the shaving creme into your father's eyes... when did this happen you might ask? Better yet, what can we do about it?
I'll let you in on a little secret... the inevitable doesn't have to be a scary moment, in fact if you plan it just right "it" can be one of the most exciting times of your life.
Begin today by writing down all of the positive, exciting, unique, outlandish and extraordinary things you can about your mom and/or dad. Talk to your brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles get stories straight from those who know. Next, find photo's of mom or dad that make you smile or laugh out loud and create an album (online or in book format) and entitle it: Marvelous Muses About Mom! or Delightful Data About Dad! Create a page of memories and the next page a photo, repeat until you are satisfied that you have described your parent in all his or her glory.
Are you asking how this can prevent the inevitable? Umm... it can't, that's why it's called inevitable. But, what it can do is give you more reasons than you have now to really appreciate who your parents were and are today. Once we look into the realness of mom or dad, our view of them will never be the same. Then when the time of "it" arrives we will beam with pride and joy at the prospect of becoming more like the one we love.
Makes me reflect on my faith-walk ... how I look forward to the time I will become as Christ, standing in the presence of my Father. Now that's a T-shirt or pajama top I'd gladly wear. "It's Official... I've Become My Brother!"
Monday, January 31, 2011
Are you like me?
I have several things going on in my head... I need to visit Mom tomorrow, I need to get everything ready for the new bible study starting this week, the parenting classes beginning on Sunday, the website updates Heather needs, the guest information for my radio show that Heather needs, the laundry I need to fold, the laundry I need to transfer from the washer to the dryer, getting supper on the table, okay... more than several, but it's okay because I'm a multi-thinker as well as a multi-tasker. Umm... why doesn't saying that help me to believe it?
Truth be told, many times I use the term multi-tasker to justify the endless stream of "good" things going on in my life, but in reality my good-thing choices are not always the "God" things I need to choose.
This year... my word is SIMPLIFY!
I have already created clear lines of sight in my kitchen (thank you Marcia Ramsland), make my bed every morning and dress to shoes (thank you Fly Lady), and have begun the excruciating task of organizing my office (for the last time, thank you Carol & Susan). I am now in Simplification Mode and it feels great!
What area of your life do you need to simplify? Your calendar, closets, or kitchen? Well I want to encourage you to get simplified over the next six months if you are ready. I will post my Simplify 2011 Challenge on Wednesday Feb 2, 2011. As we simplify our lives, weight will naturally fall away. I am offering a prize to the biggest loser. Be sure to check it out.